Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Columbian Villa

I for 'Juan' was glad to see Angel starting with Baros last night, even if we did loose.

I could be mistaken (and I'm sure Dave will correct me if I am) but I think that's the first time Angel and Baros have started together in the Premiership.

As I've said before Baros, Phillips and Moore are all very similar players. The only player that can hold up the ball is Angel.

Even though Villa had reclaimed the lead by the time he came on in the Birmingham City game, they still hadn't settled down. Not only does he keep the ball well but he has better defensive qualities.
Without him there is too much urgency in Villa's attack and as a result the ball spends too much time in our own final third because it can't stay up in the opposition's instead.

The most successful attacking partnerships in the premiership have one striker with blistering pace and a slower striker that offers either more aerial dominance or (in the case of Bergkamp) exceptional skills.

Without Angel, Villa are often one dimensional and easy to defend against. They'd better get used to this though because after the season he's just had, I can't see him wanting to stay for another.

On a positive note I was truly thrilled that we beat City. I didn't think it would happen after the lack lustre performance the week before, especially given that Birmingham were in better form than West Brom.

If City and West Brom both go down, Aston Villa will be the only midlands club in the Premiership since it started nearly 14 years ago.

We've shared with Coventry City, Nottingham Forest, Leicester City, Derby County, West Bromwich Albion, Birmingham City and Wolverhampton Wanderers but I can't recall a season when we've gone it alone. Am I wrong?

Whatsmore, if Forest win the League 1 Playoff, there would be 8 midlands based clubs in the Championship. That's a third of that division.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home