Friday, February 17, 2006

The Arkness

I took Mrs. Mellie to see 'The Darkness' at Plymouth pavilions last night.

They rocked!

We saw them live a couple of years back just before they released their Christmas single 'Christmas Time (Don't let the bells end)'... I still can't believe that didn't get to number 1!

The support for the last concert was appalling to say the least but this time they had a Swedish rock band called 'The Ark'. They were a bit camp to put it mildly but they were the best supporting act I've seen where I hadn't heard any of the songs before... It's a bit different when you already know some of the songs as you get into it more.

I was initially disappointed when they came on because I'd wanted to see 'Juliet & The Licks' (mainly because Juliet Lewis is the lead singer and it's not every day you get to see a movie star), but they'd decided they couldn't be arsed to come all the way down to Plymouth so f@ck em!

The set was a lot more flamboyant than it was two years ago. There were fireworks, flame-throwers and loads more besides. I've never seen fireworks at an indoor concert before, it's always been outdoor gigs in the past.

I have to be honest and say that I hadn't expected to enjoy the show as much as I did. I didn't think the new album was as good as the last but fair do's the new songs are much better played live. The album itself lacks the kick-ass element that 'Permission to Land' is full of... Plus it clashed with cricket nets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home