Saturday, March 11, 2006

Stealing from the Villains

I watched the Blackburn game tonight and I am well and truly gutted. I always say that I wouldn't mind loosing if we played well but to be honest I think that makes it worse. At least if you sucked then you got what you deserved.

As no doubt those in the media will start apportioning the blame to two (really quite bad) blunders by Sorenson and Milan Baros squandering three absolute sitters, I would like apportion some of the blame elsewhere.

Firstly I would argue that Dermot Gallagher gave us nothing all match. This isn't surprising as it's what we usually get from him but it pisses me off all the same.

Secondly how can David O'Leary possibly think that two substitutions in the 82nd minute can have any impact on the game? This seems to be a trait of his. When I was at the West Ham game back in January, everyone could see the equaliser coming and that the problem was that the forwards weren't keeping the ball when it went up-field. However DO'L didn't bring on Villa's only striker that can hold up the ball (Angel) until after West Ham had taken the lead. He held up the ball alright but by that point they were chasing the game and Baros had given up.
One of John Gregory's main strengths was that if he saw something wasn't working, he'd take action - quickly. Jose Mourinho is the same, he doesn't seem to have done too badly out of it.
Don't get me wrong I think DO'L is doing a great job with the resources he has got but he has to be more pro-active in making changes.

I for one would like to see Phillips and Angel up front together. Angel can hold the ball up and put the ball through for Phillips to chase. Alternatively Angel in the hole with Baros AND Phillips playing off him could work. That would mean that you'd either have to lose a midfielder or (my preferred option) you could play three at the back. With our injury problems in the back four, surely cutting the numbers would help?

My ideal XI (excluding long term injuries):

Baros, Phillips;
Angel ;
Barry, Davis, McCann, Milner;
Bouma, Mellberg, Delaney;

This is obviously the ideal line up as Delaney is currently injured, I have to say that I haven't been all that impressed with what I've seen of Hughes. Bouma is a better defensive option than Samuel when he's fit but I do think JLloyd has improved immensely from how he was playing last season and the 'fans' that boo him should lay off. You're supposed to jeer the opposition players, not your own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home