Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Turn of the Tide?

Gender equality is a regular feature on my blog.

For once there's been a positive landmark ruling in the courts.

Shame it wasn't the courts in this country, they got it wrong and it had to be escalated to Europe.

This kind of claim pisses me off for several reasons. The most annoying of all is that Parental Discrimination seems to equal Sexual Discrimination.

Bullshit!

Men are parents too. We didn't design the human body so we shouldn't be prejudiced against in this way.

Any case that claims to be Sexual Descrimination on the grounds of childcare should instantly be thrown out of court if the plaintiff cannot prove that the opposite sex are given better childcare provisions. It isn't sex descrimination, case dismissed.

When my wife and I start a family, once she's fully recovered from the physical ordeal of the birth, the one who earns the least money will stay at home to look after our baby(s) - genetic possibility of twins. At the moment the smart money is on my wife staying at home or reducing her hours but she could potentially overtake me.

As far as the whole getting paid more for doing your work thing goes. I couldn't agree more. An employer HAS to reward its staff for working for them instead of taking time off. The woman who lost her case was nothing short of a money grabbing opportunist.

I'm all for equal pay in the workplace but as far as I'm concerned it already exists. The reason why women (on average) earn less than men is usually because of the life choices they've made for their: Education, Higher Education, Career, Family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home