Saturday, May 19, 2007

The final hurdle

My debut half marathon is supposedly a week tomorrow.

I say supposedly because I did a 13.1 + mile run last Saturday and my left knee has been sore ever since.

I did a light run on Wednesday and although it felt better running on it than it does just walking, it hurts even more today.

I've decided if there hasn't been any improvement by Wednesday (my last window for a training run before the big day) then I'll have to abstain.

It sucks that I've spent seven months building up to this only to perhaps have to pull out at the last minute. Now I know how Michael Vaughan must feel!

The only plus point I have is that by running more than the 13.1 miles last week, I don't feel like a complete failure. It would have been nice to get a first organised run under my belt though.

For anyone that hasn't tried distance running, when I first started out on this venture I didn't realise exactly how enjoyable it could be. I thoroughly encourage anyone/everyone to give it a try, it does wonders to your fitness/physique and the buzz you get when you finish is awesome. And a bit of advice... the first three miles are the hardest of every run you do. Once you get into the rhythm, 4 miles may as well be 14.

Fingers crossed I'll be blogging about successfully completing the Plymouth Half Marathon next Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home