Sunday, November 02, 2008

Wossi-gate

It's been a while since I've put anything on here but then a lot has been going on at home. To summerise in one sentance:

I've changed jobs and moved to Portsmouth to live on my own.

My brother decided to put a post on his blog about Hamilton's dramatic world championship victory so I won't bother going on about that.

Instead I'd like to talk/rant about the other hot topic which is the storm in a teacup surrounding Jonathan Ross / Russell Brand.

Although I haven't heard the show in question, I feel I'm still in a position to comment as that's what thousands of Daily Mail readers have been doing over the last week.

From what I gather took place, I think that what they did was wrong and they should apologise... oh hang on, they already have.

The material in question probably wasn't fit for broadcast but as performers that judgement call didn't rest with them. They were still wrong to phone Mr Sachs on BBC time (whether broadcast or not) but even so the reaction has been outrageous. If I ran the BBC this would be my statement:

"We at the BBC regret the actions that two of our high profile stars took in the name of entertainment. We feel it was inappropriate and we will co-operate fully with OFCOM in their investigations.

We feel there are two seperate issues that require investigation:

Firstly, whether it is appropriate to make abusive telephone calls to public figures in their private domain in the name of programme entertainment - whether the programme is broadcast or not.

Secondly whether the programme was fit for broadcast.

Any OFCOM fines for the first issue will be met by the performers concerned. However they cannot and will not be held accountable for editorial decisions. An internal investigation will take place to identify who was at fault for the second issue and they will be disiplined accordingly.

We feel that whilst this incident went too far and is regrettable, it has been excessively fuelled by the media - specifically the written press.

We will not bow to media pressure to sack any of our performers.

We are the BBC. We are the media. We do not take orders from newspapers"

I personally love the way people from older demographics have been going on about Ross' salary and saying about how it's 'their license fee' that pays for it.

Contrary to popular opinion, young people like myself also pay license fees and I would like to have my favorite Friday night show back on TV - Fuckers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home