Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Just say 'no'

As I've said before I just can't seem to slag my union off enough at the moment (They work for me goddamit)

I got this latest bit of propaganda in an email at work today:

PROTECTING OUR FUTURE:
Defending jobs, pay and conditions
Service Reductions
Public service slaughter
in the South West
Rural Jobcentres closing
Tax offices threatened
Post Offices in jeopardy



Redundancies in DEFRA
Fire Services cut back
SW staff paid less than colleagues elsewhere ... etc


This is the kind of crap I seem to have to put up with increasingly more often. Most of the above has absolutely nothing to do with my workplace - some of it isn't even in the same union.

Wtf do fire service reductions (Caused by an inept Cornwall County Council) have to do with me? I live in Devon and work for a completely different sector. Cornish tax payers should be lobbying their council, me not turning up for work (in Devon) will achieve nothing.

Again I don't give a toss about the Post Offices either. If people want to save them so badly then they should vote with their feet. As it is they haven't so clearly the public don't want/need them.

I could write a whole new blog about Defra (I'm sure phrases like 'inept', 'long time coming' and 'only themselves to blame' would feature quite often).

Rural jobcentres? When I lived in rural areas (Shropshire & Herefordshire) I had to head to a sub-urban/urban focal point to enjoy such facilities (i.e. I popped into town). If you want to live in a rural area to 'get away from it all' then don't complain about the fact that you have to get in a car to 'get back to it all' when required.

I guess the main problem I have with my union is that it seems to think that all of the public sector is the same thing. But it isn't.
By using that train of thought that would therefore mean that all of the private sector is the same thing as well. Can you imagine everyone in your bank going on strike because your mobile phone company are dishing out redundancies?

I do have some niggling issues with my employer (Doesn't everyone?) but I feel that I'm fairly well paid (for the job I do) and enjoy good working conditions. Whatsmore if I did feel unhappy then I'd solve the problem by getting a job elsewhere as I've done before. That's the modern world.

So I would urge anyone reading this who's in PCS and doesn't want to strike to make sure they vote no in the ballot. The lower the turnout, the more it suits the militants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home