Saturday, February 18, 2006

Loony Toons

It seems that another 10 people have died in the war on freedom.

I can appreciate that everyone has a right to be offended by something but I think calling for people to be killed and so forth is just a tad over the top.

I find 'Westlife' offensive, that doesn't mean I want to firebomb the Irish embassy because I saw an Irish MP wearing one of their T-Shirts.

It also seems perfectly obvious that the papers that re-published the cartoons did so to see what all the fuss was about. And they have all come under attack as well.

If a bunch of Christians took offense to a few cartoons about Jesus then:

a) No-one would give a shit
b) Every paper in the world would re-print the cartoons to let everyone see what was causing the offense, public opinion would then judge how offensive the material really was.

I remember the enormous storm in a tea cup about the 'Brass Eye Special'. I wanted to see it for myself and when I finally did, I thought it was a hilarious piece of satire. Blatantly a lot of people didn't get the point it was making about the media blowing things out of proportion and then the media duly did just that.

What's more, the vast majority of those stirring up trouble haven't even seen the cartoons. How can you be offended by something that you haven't even seen?

Every time I see this escalate I keep thinking of Graham Chapman in 'Monty Python's Flying Circus' saying
"Stop that, it's far too silly"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home