Thursday, June 22, 2006

Return of the Jedi

Played my first cricket game back from injury last night.

I didn't get to bat mainly due to the outstanding performance of one of our openers who made 131* and built a score of 209-1 off of just 16 overs.

The skipper came to the conclusion that with so many runs to play with, there was no harm in giving everyone bar the 'keeper a bowl. It's a shame that the England manager doesn't think the same way. I'm sure the whole country was flabbergasted that having lost one striker he chose to risk the one on the yellow card (in a no-risk game) instead of giving the kid a chance.

Anyway back to the cree-kit, I was pleased that I didn't give away any extras in my one over but I wasn't very pleased that I still managed to give away 17 runs. The nerves had hit me big time and I was so worried about my line that I completely forgot about length. I was bowling leg-spin half way up the wicket and getting bugger all turn as a result. I just wasn't thinking straight and it took a word in my ear before I bowled my last ball to get me to adjust.

We still won though with plenty of runs to spare, and I wasn't the most expensive bowler.

My new boots gave my feet plenty of room and my toe hasn't flared up at all. I'm looking forward to a bit of jogging with the wife after work next week - not in my cricket boots of course.
I actually enjoyed fielding for the first time in quite a while, I saved a few boundaries and kept the batsmen in their crease a couple of times when they saw the ball was heading towards me - well, me towards the ball to be precise. If Vinnie Jones decides he doesn't want to play 'Juggernaut' in the next X-Men film then I think I might audition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home