Monday, May 28, 2007

2:42:03

I suppose I should be thankful that I finished given all the trouble I've had with my knee and the fact I've been pretty much sedantry for the last week and a half.

However I didn't remotely enjoy the run. The crowd gave me an enormous boost but several of the other runners annoyed the hell out of me. There was one couple in particular that overtook me, started walking, got in my way as I overtook them (Is it really such a chore to walk in a straight line?) and then overtook me again at least 20 times. If I do run again next year I intend to run it faster just to get ahead of numpties like them.

The worst thing was the weather though. The BBC were insistant that it would be heavy rain - there was no element of doubt from them. The reality was that it was dry with long intervals of sunshine for pretty much the whole run. There was a bit of spitting between miles 11 & 12 but nowhere near enough to cool me down. Whatsmore I hadn't applied any sun-cream so I now have red arms.

Weather forecasts are nothing more than an informed guess but the presenters treat them as a matter of fact. Why can't they give you the probability of rain like the Big Breakfast used to?

I can barely walk today and the sense of accomplishment is marred by the lack of enjoyment. Of the 13.1 miles I did, I enjoyed less than a mile. In my training there would be stretches for several miles where I would genuinely be enjoying myself. I'm not sure whether it was the numpties or the lay-off that took that away from me yesterday.

4 Comments:

At 1:51 pm, Blogger Phill said...

Probably a bit of numpties and a bit of naughty food/ poorly knee.
I thought you did really well and the atmosphere was great while I was cheering you on! Very Proud!
Might even do it myself next year....think I'll race for life first though!
xxx

 
At 1:52 pm, Blogger Silver haired girl said...

Sorry that was me not Phill!
Well done Mr!
xxx

 
At 3:56 pm, Blogger Infoholic UK said...

Congrats !

Between your run and Alexia's diet (22 pounds and counting), you've shamed me into taking action.

So today is now day EIGHT without alcohol or junk food. Weight loss is currently standing at eight pounds. The far more indicative "hole on the belt" test says +2.

 
At 10:25 pm, Blogger Phill said...

Wow eight days! I can go that long without the alcohol but sadly not the junk food - but that's what you get when you live opposite a chip shop I guess, damn their tasty food!

I find belt notches to be a more reliable indicator too. If you're exercising as well as dieting then weight loss doesn't necessarily reflect the progress you've made.

Saying all that, courtesy of my injury lay-off and a spell of gluttony I'm now the heaviest I've been all year!

Going to start running again soon... just need to be able to walk again first.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home