Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The Longest Day

The first day back after a bank holiday is always a bit hectic but yesterday was particularly bad:

When I arrived at work I found out that my first senior manager had died suddenly at the weekend. He was in his early fifties. I didn't know him all that well but my heart goes out to his family. Apparently his son was in doing work experience last year and is only about 16. When I was 16 my dad was about the same age as his, so (having not lost him - he was here this weekend) I can only imagine how he must be feeling right now.

I had to nip out of work to have my first ever opticians appointment. I figured I use display equipment every day so it's perfectly sensible to make sure my eyes haven't been damaged. It turns out that I'm slightly long-sighted (my long range vision was described as 'impressive') so I'll be supplied with some glasses to wear when I'm reading up close to take a bit of the strain off my eyes. It does explain why I feel so tired at the end of the day.
Courtesy of the naff bus services in Plymouth I was out of work for the grand total of 1hr 40mins.

When I got back to work for a brief cameo appearance, I then had to rush off home again to get ready for my first cricket game of the season.

We only did 14 overs each. We batted first, I didn't get to bat as I was next in when we ran out of overs. We made 92 which was defendable to say the least. Unfortunately despite some athletic fielding by yours truly (still got it) we were unable to stop the opposition from chasing down the runs. We didn't manage to take any wickets and they won with 4 balls to spare. Nevermind, at least it was a close one.

I have a proper game on Saturday (my first REAL game in years). I'm looking forward to batting in that one. You don't have to rush as much when you've got 50 overs to play with. Having taken three wickets in three overs at practise last Friday, I might even get a bowl.

I went to bed with the intention of walking in to work today (as part of my progressive marathon training). Unfortunately the cricket had left me both aching and tired when I woke so I had to take the bus. I'll now have to walk in two days in a row if I intend to meet my target of walking to work twice in one week. In all fairness, the bank holiday has made it a bit of a short week but if I miss a target in only my second week then I'm liable to struggle with more difficult targets further down the line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home