Friday, December 01, 2006

I don't believe it

The whole reason I got this blog in the first place was because I was fed up of hearing the opinions of reactionist arseholes in the media and so wanted to get my own opinions out and let off some steam.

After all no-one else can be right unless they agree with me.

So imagine my surprise when I found myself agreeing with two opinions on radio 5 about two different topics.

They were the topics of the day: Road pricing and PaedoWatch.

Jeremy Clarkson was talking about the road pricing and said what I've always thought which is scrap road tax and put it all on fuel. That way the more you use your car and the more thirsty it is, the more you pay.
This would also mean that the scroats that don't bother paying their roadtax would have to cough up like the rest of us. AND we'd loose an unneccesary layer of beaurocracy.
A good example of this system in action is a comparison between myself and one of my friends.

I drive a 1.9 TDi Renault Laguna, they drive a 1.3i Ford Ka.
I drive 4 miles each way to work every day, they drive 40 miles each way to work every day.
I pay £185 a year in car tax, they pay £100 a year in car tax.
I get nearly 50mpg, they get about 35mpg.

I don't see how it's fair that I'm paying a larger standing charge for a car that burns less fuel that I use far less. My carbon footprint is much lower due to both the efficiency of the vehicle and the distance I travel so surely I should be rewarded for it?

As for the governments satelite tracking business, as well as the issues normally raised (i.e. vehicles with the equipment removed etc.)I would also like to raise my slight concern that I don't think the goverment has a fucking clue how complicated this system will be!:

I work in a team that develops and maintains software that uses maps and stores static data that relates to them (i.e. a graphical representation of the land a person owns).
We have enough problems doing this so how on earth they plan to run a system that tracks the movements of millions of vehicles 24/7 is beyond me.

What about cars coming from abroad? We can get the money from the pump without any problems but they're hardly going to have a tracking device fitted whilst they're on the ferry/chunnel are they?

As for the business of solving congestion, no-one seems to address the reason why there is congestion in the first place.

It's because we have these outdated working practices where everyone starts at 9 and finishes at 5. You can fix this by offering businesses a lower rate of corporation tax if they stagger their working patterns.
Secondary schools can get a bit smarter with their timetables by putting on earlier and later lessons and putting children into the lessons according to their parents working patterns / childcare arrangements.

Anyway I seem to have gone off on a tangent and not got to PaedoWatch yet.

The bloke they talked to thought the idea was stupid as you would only be aware of people already on the register. People have to do something to get on the register in the first place and you would have no protection from them until after they've done it.
Again I agreed, the only points I would like to add are:

Paedophile attacks are a plane crash - they rarely happen but when they do you'll hear about them.

Attacks by family / carers are a car crash - it happens so often that it doesn't make the news unless there is something extra-ordinary in the detail (e.g. satanic ritual, foster parents etc.)

Cars are a bigger danger to children than paedophiles. Yet children aren't made to fear roads like they were when I was growing up.

So lets hear less from the idiots who think that a video of a man getting killed running from the police is racist because he is black and hear more from the kind of people who try to enforce drug laws (and therefore have experience of them) but think it would be of more benefit if addicts got the drugs for free.

5 Comments:

At 9:06 pm, Blogger Annette said...

When I first read this I was horrified.Just how much more will we pay for our petrol?
Have you got any figures for us to compare?
I admit I only pay £100.00. But how much more would I pay for the petrol? (I admit I only pay about £35.00 a MONTH as I only use my car for work!)
What about pensioners on a pension, how would they manage? They probably only use their cars for short journeys.Would that mean they wouldn't be able to afford that?
If you could get any figures on this I would be grateful. It would be interesting to find out.

 
At 9:43 pm, Blogger Phill said...

I'm not sure if you were horrified by my post or the government's plans?

As far as I'm concerned the amount of money they increase the fuel duty by should be enough to offset the net amount brought in by car tax.

An extra 10p per litre is my ill-informed guess.

This way the people that use the roads the most pay the most towards them. Easy.

The Lib Dems and the Conservatives want to increase Car Tax for 'bigger cars'. My car is big but fuel efficient. If I had to pay more I'd use it as much as possible just to get my bloody moneys worth. Either that or get rid of it so that they don't get any money.

Car tax is an old fashioned standing charge and doesn't fit in with the modern 'pay-as-you-go' world we live in.

 
At 10:30 pm, Blogger Annette said...

I was horrified at the plan not your blog!
But in fact 10p extra isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Thanks for answering that.

 
At 9:25 pm, Blogger Phill said...

Just want to be clear here (As I get the feeling from responses to my comments on other people's blogs that I tend not to):

10p per litre is my (gu)estimate as to how much fuel duty would need to increase to cover the hole left in the treasury from scrapping road tax.

It isn't what the (stupid) road pricing system would cost the average motorist as this is based on how far you drive rather than the fuel you consume and would depend on:

1. What road you use
2. When you use it
3. How busy the road is when you happen to use it
4. Whether or not the system has crashed and has then made an estimate based on your last recorded position and your current one
5. Whether the system has confused your tracking signal with one slightly similar used by a sales rep that operates in the M25 commuter belt.

etc.

 
At 9:25 pm, Blogger Phill said...

Err... that link didn't work

Oops

 

Post a Comment

<< Home