Saturday, January 27, 2007

Outsourcing

I don't normally post about work as their aren't that many software developers called Phill that work for HM Land Registry. However I feel I should say something about the upcoming strike action.

I would have posted earlier this week when the results of the ballot were announced but I've been unwell, to be more accurate I still am unwell despite my nurse's appointment on Thursday - I wanted to see a doctor but being a member of the working population I was deemed unworthy and so saw a jumped up nurse instead.

So we're all going on strike on Wednesday (although technically if I'm still off sick by then, I won't be) because of the following demands:

  1. Guarantees of no compulsory redundancies or relocations - Not only is that a bit of a tall ask but I wouldn't trust this government if it made any such guarantee anyway. A grand total of 2 union members have so far lost their jobs through compulsory redundancy.
  2. An end to unfair pay systems that see staff doing the same job paid vastly differing salaries, progression in five years and a fair national pay system - I don't care what DEFRA, RPA, The Home Office, DVLA, Customs & Excise etc. get paid compared to me. They're separate organisations as far as I'm concerned.
  3. Pay increases which, at least , keep pace with the cost of living - a fairly reasonable demand but not worth striking over... yet
  4. No more privatisation and outsourcing without agreements to protect the workforce - I'll rant about this in a minute.
  5. Adequate resources and decent working conditions - Already have them.
  6. No cuts in the civil service compensation scheme - ???

I personally think strike action is an outdated concept and can work against you in negotiations. That said I do agree in taking industrial action on this occasion because of point 4 - Outsourcing.

In a private company you outsource various aspects that either aren't your core business (e.g. cleaning staff) or you lack the expertise / manpower (e.g. a bespoke computer system if you don't have an I.T. department).

However we had to outsource our brand new Human Resources computer system because of government policy.

We had both the expertise and manpower to do it in-house but we had to pay £25 million to an external company to provide us with something that is (for lack of a better description) a sack of shit. The existing system it is replacing is better.

We have a designated human resources section of developers who already understand the existing business processes and could have produced a better system at a fraction of the cost but courtesy of government policy they weren't allowed to.

Whatsmore in the short time that I've been working here, our level of consultancy usage has increased exponentially. Now even if you're on a relatively small project it has to go via a consultant, someone that knows nothing about the system you are building so you waste even more time / money explaining it to them.

Now I'm not saying consultants don't have their uses but when you're enhancing an existing system that works on a stable architecture, you don't need them. If it's a brand new system on a completely new architecture (Like 'White Elephant' will be) then fair enough.

But the government wants more outsourcing. It doesn't matter that it costs more and results in an inferior output, it's a policy so they have to stick to it. I thought they wanted to be more like the private sector...

In the private sector if it costs you twice as much and gives you half as much back then you don't do it unless you want to go out of business.

If the government refuses to except that more PFI, outsourcing and consultancy is both expensive and ineffective then someone has to take action. Unfortunately Joe Public will probably side with the Government when we go on strike as they're brainwashed into thinking the civil service doesn't do any work.

I'm sure things could be run better but removing the public sector altogether isn't the way to achieve it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home