Friday, May 05, 2006

I feel so dirty

Yesterday evening I did something I once vowed never to do... I voted Conservative.

I should point out that unlike the muppets that voted for them because they were angry with the labour government, I actually voted for them because I was unhappy with the labour local council (Plymouth City).

In the last three years they've managed to award themselves immense pay rises (far more than the tories ever did), ruin the city centre and remove successful policies implemented by their predecessors (the most notable being free parking in the evenings and on Sundays - this had boosted trade in the city centre shops and made saturdays far less hectic than they are now). Their transport policies have been a complete shambles as well. Plymouth rarely had road conjestion in its centre, now it's rarely without it.

The icing on the cake was the introduction of fixed penalty notices for people who put out there rubbish a day early (We've suffered directly as a result of this) without warning them that they are liable for a fine in the first place or worse still when their alternative collection day is around public holidays. The council won an award for this initiative whereas all we got was a £50 bill. We only put the bags out a day early because I was going on holiday for a week (in late June) and didn't want them to smell.
The fixed penalty classed what we did as a littering offense but when we looked through the act it came under, early disposal of refuse was not classed as a littering offense.
It made us feel like we were as bad as scumbags that drop gum on the floor in town or leave a broken fridge in a ditch or don't clean up after their dogs. All we did was put rubbish in a service lane a day early and as I said, we didn't even know we weren't meant to do that.

Back to the whole going tory thing, I don't know where my vote will go for the national or european elections. I've not been won over by Honest Dave like many others seem to have been. I do know one thing for sure though: A Prime Minister that publicly backs his home secretary and then sacks him two days later (immediately after a disasterous election) has either panicked or lost the plot (or both). It makes me think of Thatcher in 1990 when she'd lost all the support of her cabinet and wouldn't even listen to her advisers (we call them spin doctors now)
I cannot and will not support this administration. Labour will have to change considerably if I'm going to consider voting for them in the next election.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home