Monday, January 29, 2007

G.P.M.G.

I managed to see an actual doctor today. Better still, I was seen earlier than my appointment time.

The doctor in question informed me that it was because no-one was turning up for their appointments. I think she said she'd spent a grand total of 40 minutes seeing patients, this was at 5pm.

Apparently it's quite widespread for people to make an appointment and then not bother showing up. I think this is appalling. I had to really fight to get to see a doctor today. Last week I could only get an appointment to see a nurse practitioner.

If you don't give your G.P. sufficient notice (e.g. 2 hours) that you aren't going to arrive for your appointment then you should be fined £6.65 (The cost of an adult prescription). You cannot make an appointment to see any G.P. in the UK until your fine has been paid.

I'm not the first to suggest this, many feel it is a bit right-wing but when you consider we live in a world of mobile phones, email etc. there really is no reason why someone can't contact their surgery to say they can't come in.

Obviously there can be mitigating circumstances (rushing to hospital, car crash etc.) but evidence of this must be provided.

I'm guessing more often than not it's brought out of laziness. Whatsmore if we get enough revenue from fines, the cost of a prescription can be brought down so that those that don't waste NHS resources can get their medicine at more affordable rates.

1 Comments:

At 10:31 am, Blogger Annette said...

I agree that doctors time can be totally wasted by people not turning up for their appointments.
But they must be ill, so why then, do they not turn up?
We are so lucky here, if you ring before 8.30 a.m. and 9.30 a.m. you can see a doctor that day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home